(or Developing a Cross-Platform HTML5 Offline App – Part 3)
In Part 1 I discussed offline storage limits between the various browsers. Since then, Firefox 4 has come out of beta, IE9 has been released, and numerous other changes in the browser landscape have occurred.
Unfortunately I don’t have access to a Windows Vista/7 box, so I have no idea (in practice) what the IE9 AppCache storage limit is. But I will update this when I’m able to do some testing. I also don’t really know about Chrome on Android as the only testing I can do is with the emulator, and it seems to crash on me a lot.
There don’t appear to be any changes in Safari or Firefox on the desktop. However in this article I will outline a method to provide “unlimited” storage in Chrome on the desktop. In a follow-up article I will discuss a method to get around the 10MB limit in Safari on iOS.
Read more →
(or Developing a Cross-Platform HTML5 Offline App – Part 2)
In developing audio thai I had the need to include MP3 files in the offline cache. The problem I ran into is that some browsers simply refuse to cache MP3 files, even if they’re explicitly defined in the cache.manifest. I really have no idea why this is the case, and I hope it gets fixed. But I needed a solution.
Read more →
Hey folks. I seem to get a fair amount of traffic to this page from Stack Overflow. This is great, except that I haven’t updated this post in 3 years, so the data is woefully out of date. It would be nice if developers that came here looking for this data weren’t given Firefox 4 Beta stats. So if you’ve tested a current browser’s offline storage limit, post it as a comment and I’ll add it to the table. If you want to help but don’t know how to test this, let me know. If I get enough requests / find some time I’ll put together a testing page.
I’ve been working on an HTML5 offline app for just over a year now. Yes, the same app. It hasn’t been dedicated time, but the development has dragged on for awhile now. Primarily this has been due to the production of data (there’s a lot of data), though many delays have been caused by the developing spec and its idiosyncrasies across browsers. So, I decided to write a multi-part series in what it’s taken to get this app out the door (which it isn’t yet, but by the time I finish this series it should be).
When all is said and done, this app should run on Windows, OS X (Mac), Linux, iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch) and Android.
This first part is just an introduction to what’s involved and will mostly be fluff. The meat of it won’t start until part 2.
Read more →