I recently worked on a fun little project integrating the Google Maps API with Twitter feeds in order to showcase tweets from business owners in downtown Fredericton, NB (who knew Fredericton had a downtown? ;). The mashup can be found at frederictontweets.com.
Nothing too earth shattering here, but I love working with the Google Maps API. Really powerful stuff.
(or Developing a Cross-Platform HTML5 Offline App – Part 2)
In developing audio thai I had the need to include MP3 files in the offline cache. The problem I ran into is that some browsers simply refuse to cache MP3 files, even if they’re explicitly defined in the cache.manifest. I really have no idea why this is the case, and I hope it gets fixed. But I needed a solution.
Read more →
Hey folks. I seem to get a fair amount of traffic to this page from Stack Overflow. This is great, except that I haven’t updated this post in 3 years, so the data is woefully out of date. It would be nice if developers that came here looking for this data weren’t given Firefox 4 Beta stats. So if you’ve tested a current browser’s offline storage limit, post it as a comment and I’ll add it to the table. If you want to help but don’t know how to test this, let me know. If I get enough requests / find some time I’ll put together a testing page.
I’ve been working on an HTML5 offline app for just over a year now. Yes, the same app. It hasn’t been dedicated time, but the development has dragged on for awhile now. Primarily this has been due to the production of data (there’s a lot of data), though many delays have been caused by the developing spec and its idiosyncrasies across browsers. So, I decided to write a multi-part series in what it’s taken to get this app out the door (which it isn’t yet, but by the time I finish this series it should be).
When all is said and done, this app should run on Windows, OS X (Mac), Linux, iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch) and Android.
This first part is just an introduction to what’s involved and will mostly be fluff. The meat of it won’t start until part 2.
Read more →
It’s quite simple really, but it’s not documented and it took me a little time to figure out, so I figured I’d share.
The basic HTML structure of the clickable portion of the accordion is:
So when you’re creating your code, the easiest way is to assign a class to the <a> element like so:
jQuery UI is nice in that it assigns different classes to the <h3> element based on its state. So then you can just use the following jQuery to determine whether or not it’s open.
// accordion is open
// accordion is closed
There’s also ‘ui-state-default’ and ‘ui-state-hover’, and probably others as well.
I guess there’s a reason not to use Google products when they’re listed as “labs”. I was just doing some work on reTranslate, and it just kept breaking. Turns out that Google changed the object that gets returned to the callback function. It used to be:
But now it’s:
Interestingly, it looks like they haven’t updated their documentation… so probably now that I’ve made this fix they’re going to revert it tomorrow. What a PITA.