Tag Archive for google

Update Gmail Contact/Hangout Picture on Android

Recently one of my Gmail contacts changed her picture on Google+.  This change came through immediately in the web version of Gmail, but after days it still hadn’t found its way to the contact on my phone.

It seems that the issue is that Gmail (or Android?) doesn’t consider a Google+ picture change to be a change in the contact itself.  In order to get this to flow down to my phone, I simply edited the Notes field in the Gmail (web) contact.  Within seconds the picture (and Notes field) were updated on my device.

Google:  Please fix this.  I shouldn’t have to “touch” a contact when their G+ picture changes.  It should just flow down to all my Googley devices.

Google Now (Android) Home & Work Locations

google-now-cardsI just moved, and I noticed that all of my Google Now addresses were wrong (i.e. “7 minutes to home” was actually pointing to my old address).  I updated my Google Contact, but it didn’t seem to take.  It turns out you need to go to Google Maps and update it from there.

Click My Places and you should see Home and Work.  Click the downward pointing triangle to the right of each of these, click Edit, and enter your new address.

Google, if you’re listening, this should be more intuitive.  Why don’t those values get pulled from the Google Contact that I’ve identified as me?  Then just propagate those changes outward.

Google is the new Smurf

Google-LogoTonight a buddy of mine was helping me put together a Frankenrig from spare parts I accumulated over the weekend. I’d looked something up and he came over to look at pictures of it and said to me “Turn up the google”, and I immediately knew he meant “brightness”.

Switching to Google CDN

Google-LogoI finally decided to make the switch to Google CDN (Content Delivery Network) for all my labs work. I’d been putting this off for awhile, mostly because I do a lot of local development with a less-than-stable internet connection. But at this point it just makes sense, especially for my lab projects. This way I don’t have to worry about local version management, and it should speed up load times due to browser caching.

Google Translate API v2 Breakage

I guess there’s a reason not to use Google products when they’re listed as “labs”. I was just doing some work on reTranslate, and it just kept breaking. Turns out that Google changed the object that gets returned to the callback function. It used to be:

response.data.translations[0].translatedText

But now it’s:

response.data.translations[0].translated_text

Interestingly, it looks like they haven’t updated their documentation… so probably now that I’ve made this fix they’re going to revert it tomorrow. What a PITA.