Displaying HTML5 Elements Correctly with Modernizr

I just figured out how to get this site with all of its HTML5 goodness to display properly* in IE < 9 and FF < 4.  It seems that in browsers that support the new elements, they set them to display:block, but in browsers that don’t support them – where Modernizr adds them as a shiv – this property is not set, so must be set manually.

So, without further ado, just add this to the top of your stylesheet:

article, aside, details, figcaption, figure, footer, header, hgroup, menu, nav, section {
	display:block;
}

* properly = better. Obviously not “properly” since these browsers still don’t support the CSS3 goodness in use, but at least it doesn’t look like a pile of gecko poo now :)

Get Page ID of Posts Page

WordPress LogoYet another of those “it took me forever to find the answer so I figured I’d post it” posts.

The common answer to the question of “how do I get the ID of the current page?” is

$post->ID

But that fails when the page ID you’re looking for is actually the Posts page. In that case the above statement returns the ID of the first post, not the page itself. Really annoying.

I Hate GoDaddy

I’m working on a client’s WordPress site right now who purchased hosting through GoDaddy. I really can’t think of a positive thing to say about them.

Their web UI is horrendous.

I have to google how to do anything in order to navigate my way around step-by-step, cuz I just don’t know what’s an ad (99% of the site) and what’s actually functional (1% of the site).

Once I actually found the management UI virtually every link I click opens a new tab.

And I just selected to do an automatic WordPress installation (as opposed to uploading the files myself, creating the DB manually, etc.) thinking it would save time, but it sat at Creating Database for about 30 mins.

Happy Easter

I was really trying to avoid non-technical posts on here, but I just couldn’t resist this one.

My sister found what she is referring to as Berry Bunny in a box o’ strawberries she bought.

So, to everyone out there, theist or not, happy Easter!

Increasing Chrome’s Offline Application Cache Storage Limit

HTML5 Powered with Offline & Storage(or Developing a Cross-Platform HTML5 Offline App – Part 3)

In Part 1 I discussed offline storage limits between the various browsers. Since then, Firefox 4 has come out of beta, IE9 has been released, and numerous other changes in the browser landscape have occurred.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to a Windows Vista/7 box, so I have no idea (in practice) what the IE9 AppCache storage limit is. But I will update this when I’m able to do some testing.  I also don’t really know about Chrome on Android as the only testing I can do is with the emulator, and it seems to crash on me a lot.

There don’t appear to be any changes in Safari or Firefox on the desktop.  However in this article I will outline a method to provide “unlimited” storage in Chrome on the desktop. In a follow-up article I will discuss a method to get around the 10MB limit in Safari on iOS.